Oral cleaning is very important, as we always tell you in most of our posts. Choosing a good toothbrush for you is also important.
However, it should be clarified that effective toothbrushing can be done with either a manual or an electric toothbrush, as long as they are used correctly, with the proper technique and for the necessary amount of time.
Electric or manual toothbrush?
When we think about daily brushing, we often have a question: should I use a manual or electric toothbrush? As we have said, both are effective, but each has its advantages.
Let’s take a look at them.
Advantages of the manual toothbrush
One of the clear advantages of the manual toothbrush over the electric toothbrush is its price, since it is much cheaper and has a price suitable for all types of pockets.
Other advantages are:
– Easy to carry: You can use it away from home and it is ideal to take it with you when you go on a trip. It is not as cumbersome as an electric one and, thanks to this, it is more likely that we will not abandon our dental hygiene during our vacations, since it is convenient to store in our luggage.
– Less pressure on teeth and gums: With manual toothbrushes we can easily notice the force we are exerting on our teeth and gums. With electric braces, pressure is not as easily felt, and applying too much pressure can lead to tooth wear.
– Easy to use for children: Our children can use the manual toothbrush safely and effectively once they have learned how to do it.
Advantages of the electric toothbrush
Because electric toothbrushes are more «technological», they enjoy certain interesting advantages in comparison, due to their continuous development.
– Access to difficult areas: It is easier to reach hard-to-reach areas, such as the anterior part of wisdom teeth and other nooks and crannies, since their heads are small and have better access to complicated areas.
– Rotation – oscillation: The movement made by the bristles, they rotate in one direction and, subsequently, they do it just the opposite, make brushing more effective.
– Timer: There are electric toothbrushes that have timers to know if we have been brushing each area sufficiently.
– Pressure sensors: They tell us if we are brushing too hard.
So, what type of brush should I choose?
Hygiene and cleaning results can be very similar, as long as they are used correctly. So the choice will depend more on your tastes, preferences and needs.
Some people prefer to control the brushing technique, the brushing force and movements, opting for manual brushing.
And there are those who want to save time and attention from brushing, opting for an electric toothbrush.
Bonus question: How often should I change my toothbrush?
Regardless of the toothbrush you choose, be sure to change your toothbrush when the bristles become worn. These are very important, so it is advisable to change your toothbrush every three months or so.
Or when the bristles have already opened or lost their firmness. Under these conditions, they will not clean your teeth as well as they should.
Do you need a dental health check-up?
In Cervantes Dental Clinic in Granada we care about your dental health, so we advise you properly to treat your specific case.
As we always say, each one of us is different, and so is our case. For this reason, personalized and attentive service is our daily routine.
Smile is a universal language. Come to our dental clinic in Granada and we will advise you. First appointment free of charge!