In a previous post we talked about dental cleaning and its importance and benefits for your oral hygiene. So today it’s time to talk about another treatment, but in this case of dental aesthetics, teeth whitening.
We will see what teeth whitening is, what it consists of, what are its advantages and disadvantages and some tips to take into account before having one.
– What is teeth whitening?
Tooth whitening is a treatment that is applied to teeth that have changed color, being one of the most conservative esthetic treatments with dental tissue.
With this treatment the color tone of the teeth is changed, leaving them whiter, brighter and restoring the natural brightness of the tooth enamel.
In other words, it consists of eliminating the intrinsic and extrinsic stains that cause the change in shade of the tooth surface.
Consuming certain foods, such as coffee or wine, and having certain habits such as smoking can cause the enamel that covers and protects the tooth to darken. This is why these types of treatments are performed, to restore the natural color and whiten the teeth.
– What does teeth whitening at Clínica Dental Cervantes consist of?
Teeth whitening can be performed either in the dental office or at home, always after a check-up and following the guidelines recommended by the dentist. Both types of teeth whitening can be combined to achieve the desired result more quickly.
The teeth whitening process lasts approximately 30 minutes, usually with three applications of the whitening agent, i.e., one every 10 minutes.
We apply the whitening agent on the teeth and a protective gel on the gums to avoid any discomfort derived from the procedure and by means of a special lamp, we activate the whitening gel.
To achieve a successful result, in-office whitening is combined with at-home teeth whitening, which the patient will apply at home for a specific time according to the needs of their specific case, and always following the guidelines indicated by our dentists.
Even so, not all dental stains or darkening can be removed or improved through teeth whitening and may require other types of cosmetic dental treatments, such as the use of porcelain veneers.
– Advantages and disadvantages of teeth whitening
Shall we start with the advantages or disadvantages?
Let’s start with the «bad» one, so we have a better taste in our mouth.
Some of the disadvantages that teeth whitening treatment can have are:
- Dental sensitivity after treatment: This sensitivity can last up to one week. However, it is variable from one patient to another and does not affect routine life.
- It does not last forever: Many of us like «forever» but this is not the case with this treatment. The teeth may return to their yellowish color or the stains that had been removed may reappear. But, to avoid this, we simply need to avoid bad habits that can stain our teeth and maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Gum sensitivity: Although this usually disappears after a few days.
Now let’s go with the good things, the ones we always like the most. Among the advantages of an aesthetic treatment such as professional teeth whitening we have:
- Painless, fast and simple: Each patient is different, so the treatment applied is special and adapted to their needs, taking into account the type of enamel in order to obtain the desired results. In addition, it takes no more than 30 minutes and is completely painless.
- Rejuvenates: This type of treatment helps to diminish the effect of wrinkles on our face, achieving a more rejuvenated effect.
- Increased self-esteem: A radiant smile helps you feel more self-confident. The simple fact of being able to smile openly, without any complex, helps to feel more confidence, security and satisfaction.
- Personal image: Perhaps one of the main reasons why patients decide to undergo this treatment is because of the improvement it represents for their personal image.
– Tips to keep in mind before having teeth whitening performed
Finally, we are going to give you some tips that you should take into account before undergoing an aesthetic treatment such as teeth whitening:
- Previous diagnosis: The professional must make a previous diagnosis. We must make sure that everything is working properly, that there is no danger to the gums, soft tissues or teeth. In addition, we must make sure that the patient who wants to undergo the treatment is suitable for it, since there are people who should not undergo it.
- The dentist must select the technique to be used: that is, whether treatment will be performed in the dental office or at home, but always under the strict control of the dentist.
- Teeth whitening is a dental treatment: By this we mean that it is not only aesthetic and can be performed anywhere. So it is important that it is performed by a professional who will tell us the health prerequisites that we must meet.
- Foods and beverages to keep in mind: There are certain foods and beverages that influence the color of our teeth before, during and after whitening. However, the most influential factor is inadequate oral hygiene measures. Therefore, we should avoid staining beverages and, if this is not possible, brush thoroughly after ingestion, as well as control diets containing foods with a lot of coloring.
– Do you want to have your teeth whitened?
In Cervantes Dental Clinic we care about your oral health, so we advise you properly to treat your specific case.
As we have said, each of us is different, so our case is different. For this reason, personalized and attentive service is our daily routine.
What do you think about the advantages and disadvantages of teeth whitening? Have you had any performed? Tell us in the comments.
Smile is a universal language. Come to our dental clinic in Granada and we will advise you. First appointment free of charge!